Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving tablescapes & traditions | Colorado Springs Event Planner


A time of thanks is what we love about the month of November; what we are thankful for, who we are thankful for and those family traditions that we become thankful to have.

I remember as a child one Thanksgiving with my brother; we were probably 7 and 9. (Get ready for this...) My fathers, sisters, husband's mother who was at least 92 started singing in the middle of us going around the table giving our 'Thanks'. She belted out lyrics from 'Button up your overcoat' "Get to bed by 3, take good care of yourself...." from the top of her lungs. My brother and I burst out laughing, being the children we are, and our mother yanks us up by our ears and storms us into the bathroom. My brother and I both had this look of horror as if we were going to be in SO much trouble for laughing out loud at the dinner table, but then all of a sudden our mom turns around and bursts out laughing herself. The three of us were laughing uncontrollably on the bathroom floor for at least 10 minutes. Mom finally told us we had to straighten up and get back to the dining room table. The rest of the night my brother and I would whisper "Get to bed by 3..." to each other and it would send us into a roar of laughter again until Dad gave us the 'look'. While it may not seem funny to all, I could whisper those words to my brother and mother anytime and it sends us down memory lane in tears of laughter.

Another fond memory I have are of my grandfathers mashed potatoes. To me, they are indescribable and the worlds best mashed potatoes. I have taken on the responsibility every year to try and recreate his masterpiece for my own family, and while I have perfected the average mashed potato, they are still not grandpa Bob's! This year my husband wants to try....not sure how I feel about that!

And finally what I am most thankful for is the love of design. My mother and grandmother have always been known to dress a table well. My grandmother would not allow anyone to the breakfast table without a bathrobe and something on our feet. Her table, even for the simplest breakfast had the full nine yards of place settings. My mother was not far behind this, every time I had to set the table for dinner I was instructed to place a fork, knife, spoon, plate, water cup, coffee cup, etc...regardless if we didn't need all those pieces. I use to fight this battle with her as I thought what was the point of setting pieces we are not even going to use! I mean come on, a spoon!!! We are not having soup! I never won the battle but am now fighting the exact same battle with my daughter who sets our table. Natali sets the table with a thrown down, non-folded napkin, small fork (because that is what she uses) and no plates...as she can't reach them!





But what I love most is decorating the table in my own home. I love having the best table-scape and making it fit to the Holiday. With Pinterest there are so many ideas out there that it makes decorating easy.



Take a look at the many different boards I use for Holiday inspiration on Pinterest. Not only boards for any Holiday, but events, parties, food, decor and just plain fun!

Right now my favorite board... Holiday: Thanksgiving

Happy Turkey day to all and wishing you and your families the very best!



No comments:

Post a Comment