Thursday, November 1, 2012

Amanda Lamb Photography | Photography Timing | Colorado Springs wedding coordinator

I pride myself in knowing the vendors that I refer my clients to. I spend time each year building a strong relationship with them so that I am confident when I refer them. And while I can profess my admiration for these said vendors, I thought it would be great to hear from them yourselves.

Please join me in welcoming Amanda from Amanda Lamb Photography as our first guest blogger!

I love warmth. Either from a sunny day, or in a cup of coffee, from my children's smiling faces, or the love all over the faces of a couple. 

I love people. I love capturing their eyes and the warmth from their soul. I love letting them see themselves the way I see them. 
I love knowing that I'll be giving a couple a chance to treasure a memory for a lifetime. 
I'm Amanda Lamb. I photograph life's happy moments.















I'd love to tell you about 3 things brides should consider about their wedding day in order to have GREAT images they can treasure for a lifetime. 

1. Time of day
2. To see each other or not to see each other
3. Simple rules for looking great 

First, the timing of your day is a huge factor in the quality of your images. This is especially true if your photographer is one who knows how to, and prefers to use natural light. The "prime" hours for photos outdoors are the first and last two hours of sun in the day. This time is often referred to as the "golden hour". Chances are, you won't be planning your day for those first two hours, so your best bet is to try to make time for pictures during those evening hours. Here in Colorado, our evening "golden hour" is more like a golden 20 minutes because of our beautiful mountains, but none the less, those last two hours of sun provide amazing directional light which will allow your photographer ample opportunity for great lighting scenarios. 
If it's not possible for your portrait time to coordinate with those last two hours of sun, your next best option is to find shade, especially during the "directly overhead sun" hours of 11-3 pm in the summer. Planning your outdoor portrait locations in the vicinity of large shady trees or near a big building with great texture is a great second choice. 
Be sure to check a farmer's almanac or sunset calendar to know just what to expect with regards to the sun on your day. You won't regret planning ahead for this! 

Second, a lot of couples feel a lot of pressure and have a lot of questions about whether or not to see each other before their ceremony. First of all, my personal opinion is that your vendors are there to serve you. I see weddings as your one chance to plan the day of your dreams. For some brides, that means having their new husband see them in their dress for the first time as they are walking down the isle on the arm of their dad. Seeing him get a little choked up at the site of you in your beautiful gown is undoubtedly romantic. However, it's important to understand that because of time constraints, brides are often well served to see their husbands before the ceremony. Doing so allows time for family pictures, and cuts down the amount of time your photographer will need post-ceremony. It also often allows for brides and grooms to plan their portrait time during the best natural light time of the day, as I mentioned in my first point. Also, arranging for what many photographers refer to as a "first look" gives you and your soon-to-be-husband a chance to see one another for the first time on your wedding day, without the pressure of being watched by your closest family members and friends. It's also a great time to exchange gifts, grab a hug and a kiss, and have a private moment just for the two of you before everyone wants in on the celebration. Should you opt for a first look, your photographer will know just how to make this a special, memorable moment that you'll treasure forever. 

Finally, a few simple rules for looking great. 
Ladies: keep things that you want to have appear smaller further from the camera. For example, if you want a natural slimming effect, keep your weight on the leg furthest from the camera, and bend the leg closest. Point your feet at a 45 degree angle from the photographer, put your weight on your back leg, twist your shoulders to the camera, while lengthening your torso, lift your shoulders and chin and smile.  But don't forget to breathe. ;)  And finally ladies, as far as makeup goes, never underestimate the value of a trial run. And have someone take your picture after the trial run. I recommend my brides have their make-up done by their wedding day make-up artist for their engagement session. It's a great chance to see just how you'll look for the big day. Your wedding is not the time to try something new on a whim.  Guys, the 45 degree angle thing works great for you, too. It's not as important for you to offset your balance, especially if you're a more slender guy. In fact, slimmer men can face the camera head on, while guys hoping for a slimming effect can lean back slightly. Try to avoid crossing your arms, unless told to do so. Don't let your hands disappear all the way into your pocket... either all your fingers, but not your thumb, or your thumb but not your fingers may be in your pocket at the same time. Otherwise you look like you're missing a hand. Guys and ladies are thrilled when they're not afraid to be natural in front of the camera. You love each other-let the world know! Feel free to practice these tips in front of the mirror a few times before your big day. Don't worry-your secret is safe with me. 

Thanks again to Sarah for letting me share these few quick tips with you! If you're looking for a photographer for your wedding, I'd love the chance to talk with you. You can get in touch by emailing amanda@lamb-photo.com, or by using the contact form at www.lamb-photo.com.  Happy Planning!














Please feel free to contact Sarah at sarah@sarahvieraevents.com for more information on todays guest blogger or any additional vendor recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment