Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"TWO TARE A"

My up and coming assistant loves the TV show 'My Fair Wedding with David Tutera.' I think she may actually like it more then me, which I didn't think was possible! She gets excited when the brides put on their dress and loves it even more when David changes them. She loves to comment on the brides ideas from their flowers to bridesmaids dresses and always states..."I can't wait for David to change their dresses!" I knew she would be a great assistant when I saw her attention to detail come into play. I have always pronounced David's last name as "Ta Tare Ah". But one day my assistant heard the announcer on the show pronounce it "Two Tare Ah" with a long emphasis on the TWO. All I could do was laugh. Not only has she corrected me, but she gets quite defensive when her father jokingly says "David Tortuga". 

Being the fan that I am of David "TWO Tare Ah" , I started following him on the ever popular facebook. He made a post about doing a seminar entitled: "Become an Event Planner with David Tutera from My Fair Wedding with David Tutera" in NYC and my heart jumped out of my chest. How I wished I lived there!!!! I sent the seminar information to my mom simply stating..."Wouldn't this be an amazing experience? Too bad he will not be here in Colorado" Not expecting anything back other then a simple reply, she replied back with "Yes it would, you have to go! It would be a once in a life time experience". After long debate, my mother insisted that she buy my ticket so I could go meet David Tutera. So I was off to NYC to meet someone that I admire and aspire to be like. With all the excitement I was feeling, I still had to inform my assistant that I would be going to NYC and meeting David Tutera. A few tears were made by her, but I promised I would bring her something back from NYC.


Sitting front row for the seminar, David walked in and the room went wild. There were about 50% industry individuals, 40% fans of him and his show, and 10% brides that were getting married soon. David spoke of his past working with celebrity brides, his show, My Fair Wedding, and what the future has in store for him. He is coming out with a new book, a certification course for all aspiring wedding coordinators, and partnering with Joann Stores featuring David Tutera with Faviana.

As he spoke throughout the seminar he said a few things that I will take to the inspiration board for my own business. Such as...jump into every opportunity! Regardless if you know the opportunity to a certain extent or not, get to know it. He told a story about his first bar mitzvah where he booked a client, but had no idea what a bar mitzvah entailed. Additionally, that you have to be emotionally connected with your client regardless of their taste, style and behavior. He recommended groups to join such as ABC, NACE, ICES and NPI, but not to solely rely on them. Its important to be involved but also market yourself. And to find unique ways to market your business by finding creative ways to show your work. This business is primarily based on word of mouth referrals and that your work will sell you!

The audience was allowed to ask questions which everyone wanted their shot at 15 minutes of fame. We heard of peoples love for David, their aspirations in life and why they are in the business and even the life story of one individual. But then questions were asked to David on how keeps his ideas fresh? In which he responded that he does his work world wide therefore he sees a lot. And how he pulls clients in and gets them focused? He said our job as planners is to organize their craziness and adapt to them.

I could go on and on about the facts and fun that I learned from David but what I walked away the proudest knowing is that having confidence in what you are doing is key. When you show confidence in yourself and your work, brides will have trust and confidence in you.

After the seminar David signed his book: 'The Big White Book of Weddings: A How-to Guide for the Savvy, Stylish Bride'. I bought two....one for my company and one for my assistant.

It was an amazing experience and I thank my mom for allowing me to have this chance. I was the only one there from a different State and I can come back home and utilize what I learned from David Tutera and enhance Sarah Viera Event Planning & Design.

When I returned home I gave my assistant her book. She squealed with delight as she saw her name written in the book and signed by the ever so popular David Tutera.


I think if David Tutera ever needs a new assistant he should consider hiring mine! What better of a person than a four year old to insist that people say his name correctly. That's the first step to a successful business woman! I guess I better watch out for my daughter over taking my business one day!






Front row!

My assistant's copy of her book

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the great information, It was really a wonderful article and I was really impressed by reading this blog. we provide Lead Retrieval App for trade shows, It helps exhibitors to scan the QR Codes printed on the attendee badges to collect and store leads right on their mobile devices and an online portal. It have integration done with Salesforce CRM where the leads get sync with the click of a button. It increases exhibitors ROI and help them generate more quality leads. For more information please check out here Lead Retrieval App

    ReplyDelete
  2. Event management is really a creative job. You need to hire a best event management company for your corporate or personal events. Thanks for sharing such an amazing post.

    ReplyDelete